TCMS System Engineer
Leading societies to a low carbon future, Alstom develops and markets mobility solutions that provide the sustainable foundations for the future of transportation. Our product portfolio ranges from high-speed trains, metros, monorail, and trams to integrated systems, customised services, infrastructure, signalling and digital mobility solutions. Joining us means joining a caring, responsible, and innovative company where more than 70,000 people lead the way to greener and smarter mobility, worldwide.
Join us as TCMS (Train Control & Monitoring System) System Engineer, and you’ll be looking at a career-defining role based in St-Bruno (QC), CA.
You will be responsible for delivering engineering solutions to agreed timescales, within budget & to an acceptable quality standard.
The role is to develop, validate and prepare modifications and maintenance changes to supported fleets that are in commercial service. The primary purpose of this position is to develop engineering solutions and engineering change documentation in support of in-service fleets, predominantly focused on Safety, Reliability, and System / Vehicle enhancements.
Primary work domains will be: modifications to existing software systems, correction of bugs, new feature development, subsystems hardware and software integration. Manages the functional and technical interface between Vehicle Engineering and TCMS Engineering according to the vehicle engineering process and provides a single point of contact in expertise for all functional and technical topics of subsystem TCMS, working in the multidisciplinary project team.
You will have a demonstrable knowledge and capability across a range of vehicle systems and be responsible for providing technical leadership in the development of vehicle modifications, be familiar with relevant industry standards and have a proven capability in the developing and justifying technical solutions, producing vehicle modification documentation as required.
You will liaise with engineers/specialists ensuring compliance with appropriate Industry Standards. In addition, you will liaise with other engineering functions to ensure a fully integrated, safe & compliant design. As part of the design process, you will need to ensure the company’s commercial interests are not compromised. The role will also include providing technical support and solutions to the Production Line, Procurement, Quality, Suppliers & Test as required.
Candidate must be versatile, very autonomous, with hands-on experience, comfortable working in unclear and ill-defined environments, resourceful to find information. Candidate must be comfortable with working in legacy development environments with potentially obsolete tools.
Provides technical leadership, ensuring adherence to engineering processes to provide high quality solutions that meet customer’s requirements. Reviews and influences the design solutions to ensure they are in accordance with all applicable requirements.
- Carry out high integrity validation of vehicle modifications undertaken against industry standards. To identify, review and close out risks, to develop and participate in system test procedures or other validation approaches as appropriate.
- Participates in design reviews internally and with customers.
- Develop and manage Interface requirements. Lead design reviews, internal and with customer.
- Maintain close contact with all stakeholders on status of work package. Responsibility for tracking their progress and adherence to budgeted hours through task planning. Develops action plans and coordinates resources to address and resolve problems as needed.
- Technical lead for the whole design lifecycle (concept, prelim, detail and realization), Development of design concepts and BOMs as required.
- Identify and recommend improvements where established technology components and methodologies are inadequate or where the implementations of solutions are not effective.
- Optimizes communication and relationships with customers and other functions. Implementation of processes/tools/behaviors by taking into account business requirements, customer needs, technical innovations, and new market conditions.
- Initiates cross functional reviews to communicate the design development of all interfaces and develop/plan design solutions and mitigations resulting from review actions.
- Provides technical support to BT Bid Teams, developing technical solutions, Engineering costs and programs as required.
- Estimates costs and schedules. Organizes and structures personal workload to achieve consistent on time delivery against the Engineering Plan
- Provide immediate technical support to teams operating in the field
- Bachelor’s in Software engineering, Electrical engineering or Computer Science, or equivalent
- OIQ Member or CEP
- Minimum 3 years of relevant work experience
- Experience in embedded systems / control systems
- Can read and analyze electrical diagrams
- Experience in technical domain is essential, experience in Systems Integration and understanding of Systems Architecture are required
- Microsoft Office
- Fluent in English and French
- Computer skills (asset): Linux, VxWorks, C, C++, IEC1131, embedded systems, TCP/IP, UDP, Ethernet
Occasional travels to clients in North America.
We thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those under consideration will be contacted.
Alstom is a global company where our people vision and values embrace Diversity and Inclusion (D&I). Wherever we operate and across all our businesses, we want to create an inclusive culture in which diversity is welcomed and appreciated. By bringing together people from diverse backgrounds and giving everyone the opportunity to contribute with their knowledge, skills, experiences and perspectives, we also generate value for Alstom and its stakeholders.
Employment at Alstom is based solely on a person's merit and qualifications directly related to professional competence. Alstom does not discriminate against any employee or applicant because of race, creed, colour, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy or related condition (including breastfeeding), or any other basis protected by law.
It is Alstom's policy to comply with all applicable national, state and local laws pertaining to non-discrimination and equal opportunity. The Company's Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) policy, as well as its affirmative action obligations, includes the full and complete support of the Company. Because it's just the right thing to do. We hope you think so, too.
Job Segment: Embedded, Testing, Technical Support, Computer Science, Procurement, Technology, Operations