Senior Propulsion Systems Engineer
At Alstom, we understand transport networks and what moves people. From high-speed trains, metros, monorails, and trams, to turnkey systems, services, infrastructure, signalling and digital mobility, we offer our diverse customers the broadest portfolio in the industry. Every day, more than 80 000 colleagues lead the way to greener and smarter mobility worldwide, connecting cities as we reduce carbon and replace cars.
The Senior Propulsion Systems Engineer is responsible for delivering high performance engineering solutions within agreed timelines and budget to support business and broad company objectives.
In this role you demonstrate knowledge and capability across a range of vehicle Propulsion systems with the aptitude to embrace new challenges and subject matter as required by the project. You also have experience with vehicle systems and components that typically interface with Propulsion systems such as Friction Brakes, Auxiliaries, Batteries, High Voltage circuitry or speed sensors.
You define functional, electrical, and mechanical requirements for the Propulsion system in line with the train architecture and customer requirements. You also work in compliance with engineering processes and regulatory standards. You are confident in writing detailed system requirements specifications and in leading internal and customer system design reviews.
You are able to coordinate Systems Engineers in the development and integration of railway vehicle systems. You ensure they have the required technical understanding of the solution and overall architecture. When necessary you provide them with technical mentorship and guidance on best design practices, including statutory & regulatory standards.
You support Alstom’s sustainable mobility strategy in delivering innovative and environmentally friendly solutions. You provide technical expertise on green and mobility products, mainly for the Propulsion system by assessing their feasibility and complexity. You ensure each solution is adequate and provide estimated associated cost and schedule for its development.
You also work with Train Control and Schematics engineers to ensure electrical functions and systems interfaces are adequately integrated. You support system design Reliability, Availability, Maintainability and Safety analysis. When necessary you assist the Production Line, Procurement and Quality teams with technical support.
Ultimately you are accountable for the Propulsion system global performance. You develop system verification plans & procedures, and support the test team with train-level validation. You ensure each system requirement is properly incorporated, verified and functional.
You organize and structure your personal workload to achieve consistent on-time delivery against the Engineering plan and with the support of your Line Manager.
Your responsibilities include:
- Technically leading the whole Propulsion system design lifecycle from conceptual solution to serial production phase
- Ensuring system proper integration within the vehicle, as well as design compliance with applicable standards for safety, reliability, maintainability
- Providing technical expertise on Propulsion and vehicle systems in general to support Alstom’s sustainable mobility strategy
- Coordinating system engineers in the development of complex engineering solutions and providing them with technical mentorship as applicable
- Reporting project progress and supporting the Train Systems Engineer with design optimization and risks mitigation.
- Ensuring complete implementation and functional verification of all system requirements
- Applying Train Systems metier processes as defined by Domain Leader with associated methodologies and tools to ensure efficiency within project execution
- Challenging project peers while improving processes and proposing optimizations. Promoting continuous improvement initiatives
Travel of up to 15% may be required to support business meetings, Production Line support, or validation and test activities.
What do I need to qualify for this job?
In this role, you are expected to build effective working relationships across a diverse engineering team, with the ultimate goal of delivering complex and innovative engineering solutions that meet our customer needs.
The Senior Propulsion Systems Engineer ensures that comprehensive and effective solutions are defined and is accountable for overall system performance and integration. In this role you also ensure deliverables are provided in line with schedule and financial aspects.
You are versatile, autonomous, resourceful, with hands-on experience and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- At least ten years of experience in railway vehicle Propulsion systems engineering
- Bachelor’s degree in electrical engineering, or equivalent combination of training
- Experience with 3D CAD for both mechanical and electrical applications.
- Experience with railway vehicle systems integration
- Experience with train pneumatic circuits and braking systems
- Experience with systems software design and associated processes or standards (ISO/IEC 15288)
- Knowledge of Alstom Design for Quality processes
You don’t need to be a train enthusiast to thrive with us. We guarantee that when you step onto one of our trains with your friends or family, you’ll be proud. If you’re up for the challenge, we’d love to hear from you!
Important to note
As a global business, we’re an equal-opportunity employer that celebrates diversity across the 63 countries we operate in. We’re committed to creating an inclusive workplace for everyone.
Job Segment: Technical Support, Procurement, Testing, Technology, Operations